Friday, May 5, 2017

Understanding, support, recovery time, and updates

I must admit that I am blessed to have so many understanding, supportive people in my life. 




What I have learned throughout this journey is not to be dismissive of someone else’s pain or struggle.  If a person feels up to sharing their journey, listen and ask questions.  Try to understand, but recognize that you never will fully get it unless you are in their shoes.

My family and friends are extremely supportive.  They show their love and encouragement when we spend time together, through texts, and phone calls.  They want to know what is going on.  They may not fully comprehend it, but they try.

The most challenging aspect of explaining my upcoming surgery is attempting to explain the recovery process.  I have read what other people have experienced after the surgery, so I have an idea of what it may be like.  People have said, “It’s the most horrendous pain I have ever felt.  At times I wished for death to take me away from the misery.”  Several people said something similar to this and almost everyone said they questioned whether they made the right decision or not.  Now, I recognize that sounds quite scary and pessimistic; however, when I specifically asked if they regretted the surgery almost all said no and then explained why.   For me, I prefer this prior knowledge.  It helps me prepare.  


The recovery for this is unique because it is your face, and most people don’t understand the amount of things you use your face for in a day:
1)    The length of time is approximately 3 months to at least a year.  Obviously, I’m hoping to recover quicker, but will do what the doctor orders.
2)    I will have physical therapy exercises I must do every day.  Even though I should not be wired shut, my jaw will be swollen shut, so I need the muscles to relax and in order to open again. I will have bars on my teeth with rubber bands that will hold my jaw in place.  I must wear them for 4-6 weeks.
3)    I will be on a soft/liquid diet for a long (long, long) time.
4)    It will hurt my face when I walk.  The best way I can explain this is that when you walk it causes vibrations throughout your entire body.  Why do women wear sports bras? The vibrations.
5)    It will probably hurt me to breath.  The swelling can press on a person’s sinus cavity and cause it to be painful when they breath.
6)    Hearing-some people report hearing problems.  Many people report tinnitus (ringing in the ears).  I already have a form of tinnitus.  
7)    Some people have vision problems.  Some people have difficulty closing one (or both) of their eyes. 
8)    Headaches-this is a given.   My face will be swollen and have stitches in it, so I will have horrendous headaches.  In addition, bones have been removed and replaced. 
9)    Swallowing-some people have reported great pain in swallowing that never goes away.  I can’t remember what causes this, but I believe it is a nerve.
10)  Hair loss-being under anesthesia can cause people to lose large amounts of hair.
11)  Teeth pain/sensitivity
12)    Facial paralysis-the muscles in my face might be frozen for a while. 
13)    I will keep my face upright and forward for awhile-I will not be able to tilt my head to read or anything like that.  I will not be able to bend over.  In addition, I will be sleeping propped up and not flat.
14)   Talking-I won’t want to do much of this
15) The sensory nerves are in the area where the incision is made, so I could feel face/neck numbness, tingling, or prickly.
16) Nerve pain-ugh.  That's all I can say about that.

The most supportive things my friends and family can do:

    1) Keep communicating with me (via phone calls, texts, social media)
    2)Come over for a smoothie night!  Lol
    3)When you do see me, please don’t hug me.  I won’t be offended.  In              fact, I’ll be grateful.  Sometimes people bump my face when they hug          me. Instead give me a high five or squeeze my hand.
   4) Don’t quit inviting me out-even if you know I can’t go.  It makes me            feel loved to be included. 

I just want to thank all of my friends and family for their continued support throughout this entire process.  I know this has been a lengthy process, but you all have stayed by my side throughout the entire time.  I know that I am blessed to have such supportive, loving, understanding people in my life.  I am forever grateful :)

Pre-surgery update
Also, I went to 1 dentist and several surgeons yesterday (5/3).  Most of the information I already knew. I did, however, find out that when they put me under Monday morning (5/8) at 6:30 am for the embolization, they will not wake me up until Wednesday (5/10).  I guess it's good because I will have no knowledge of either surgery and/or the stress that goes a long with it.  My parents will be there with me when they take me away for the embolization, but not for the TJR because the doctors will take me straight from my room to the OR.  They made it very clear to me that I will not wake up with any tubes in me because they will make sure I am asleep the ENTIRE time.  
This is my actual titanium jaw :)  They have arrived!

100+ Abandoned Dogs of the Everglades just rescued 14 Yorkies-This is my happy place!  My parents adopted one :) They will pick it up when I get home!

No comments:

Post a Comment

TMD and The Workplace (Surgery, time off, Covid-19)

 TMD and the workplace   Many people ask how TMD affects people at work, especially post operation.  The truth is it really depends on the...