Friday, July 7, 2017

2 months post op TJR (July 9th)


It’s hard to believe that I am at the two-month (July 9th) mark and doing so well. My friends and family are amazed at the progress I am making every week.  The decision to get this surgery was not one that I took lightly, but I am glad that I faced my fears and did it.

A great deal has changed in the past month:
*the first bite syndrome has almost completely ceased
*My face is still numb, but not as much.  Around week 6-7 I noticed a big change in this.  My cheeks are a bit numb, but only in front of my ears. 
*My hair is growing back (not much was shaved) and my scars are barely visible.
 My left side (scars and hair regrowth)




 My right side (scars and hair regrowth)



*My right eye closes tighter, yet there is still a difference in the two eyes. 



*My smile is a bit bigger, but still not back to normal.I practice smiling when I volunteer with the rescue dogs :)


*I still have phantom pains here and there as nerves and muscles are regenerating.
*My pain level is typically at a 0-no headaches, etc.
*I do get headaches when it rains, but if I take one Excedrin it goes away.
*I still go to physical therapy once a week, and it has been an astonishing experience.  I do not think I would be doing this well without my physical therapist (who happens to be stricter than my surgeon)
Icing down my face after PT


*I still do physical therapy exercises seven times a day, which include using my orastretch, popsicle sticks, and various exercises to get my jaw to open and the muscles in my face to start working again.
I have many different exercises I must do-this is using the ora stretch

*I started jogging at week 7, and it’s uncomfortable but nothing to complain about.
*No swimming
*I still do not like sweets!  I just tried a Reese's Peanut butter cup (the chocolate was slightly melted around the edges, so it wasn't difficult) and yuck!  I use to love these!


For the most part, I am still very careful with my jaw.  I’ve noticed that when I go out with friends, I do start to get sore after approximately four hours. 

I am opening to a 38 on my own, and a 40 after I do my exercises.  I can move my jaw to the right at a 5 and the left a 3.  My physical therapist wants it to be a 5 on both sides. 

I am still on a soft/mushy food diet because my physical therapist does not want me to over work the muscles in my face/jaw because they will get tight. 

I understand that I am not healed and that it will take a great deal longer; however, I am happy with the improvements that have been made two months.  I am optimistic about my jaw and getting back to a normal life.
Gato feels the need to "help" me when I'm typing my blog




1 comment:

  1. Great progress! Thank you for sharing this with TMJ Hope ~Candy

    ReplyDelete

TMD and The Workplace (Surgery, time off, Covid-19)

 TMD and the workplace   Many people ask how TMD affects people at work, especially post operation.  The truth is it really depends on the...