Monday, May 25, 2015

Basic TMJ/TMD information

I hope everyone is having a wonderful Memorial Day!  Here is some basic information about TMJ/TMD.  If you suffer from jaw problems, you are already aware of this information.  Before I even get into my story, I feel as though some basic information might be useful!


What is TMJ? 
TMJ refers to the temporomandibular joint, which is a hinge that connects your jaw to the temporal bones in your skull.  It’s located right in front of your ears.  This joint helps you chew, talk, yawn, smile.


What is TMJ syndrome? 
Most often pain and often muscle tightness in the face.
Some causes:
*Teeth grinding (bruxism) or clenching
*Arthritis
*Stress/anxiety
*Poor posture
*Excessively chewing gum, hard food, or chewy foods
*Teeth that aren’t lined properly

What are TMJ symptoms?
*Sore muscles in the face
*Jaw will feel tired
*Clicking or popping noise (this might not be painful)
*Headaches, toothaches, dizziness
*Ringing (or other noises) in the ear
*Facial swelling

Home treatments:
*Ibuprofen
*Eating soft foods (chicken, ground beef, etc) 
*Avoid large yawns, singing, yelling
*Keep your teeth slightly apart
*Learn how to handle stress


No matter what, always consult a medical professional.  Do research and make sure they know TMJ/TMD, and a variety of treatments.  This is where I made a mistake.  For instance, I had to change dentists because of insurance.  My new dentist made me a night guard.  Insurance didn’t cover it, so I paid approximately $700.  I hated it because of the material and the fit, even after it had been adjusted several times.  I went to my old dentist, who is more knowledgeable about TMJ/TMD, and had him make me one.  I no longer wear it because I do not clench or grind my teeth, so my Oral Maxillofacial surgeon said I could just wear my retainers.  Like I previously stated, every situation is different. 

Useful websites:



No comments:

Post a Comment

TMD and The Workplace (Surgery, time off, Covid-19)

 TMD and the workplace   Many people ask how TMD affects people at work, especially post operation.  The truth is it really depends on the...