Sunday, May 24, 2015

Background information

Good afternoon,

This is my very first blog post.  I thought about creating a travel blog several years ago, and even signed up for this website yet never did anything with it.  Last year, I began thinking about creating another blog about people who suffer from TMJ/TMDD.  Honestly, I was too lazy and never even began the process.

This time is different.  This time I have the drive and determination to share information about jaw disorders.  I want to encourage people and give them confidence in their own journey with TMJ/TMDD.  I decided on the name Positively TMJ/TMDD for two reasons: I want to disseminate accurate information about the jaw and because I want this to be a positive website, where people can go and find encouragement and hope while dealing with any of the obstacles this disorder causes.

I am not a doctor, and; therefore, none of the information/advice given on this blog should be used in place of seeking medical attention.  Over the years, I have worked with several wonderful dentists, doctors, orthodontists, and oral maxillofacial surgeons.  I follow their advice, and even as I read information on the Internet, I recognize that every situation is unique and the advice that someone else may have successfully followed may not be what is best for me.

At one point or another, all doctors ask me about trauma.  Have I been in a car accident?  Have I ever been hit in the head?  Do I grind my teeth or clench my jaw?  The answer is always the same, no.  I do always mention that when I was sixteen-years-old I had a tonsillectomy.  When I was discharged from the hospital I realized I couldn't open my mouth, but figured I was just swollen.  The entire week I drank my food, as I couldn't even fit a spoon in my mouth.  When my mom brought me back to the surgeon he was stunned and swore he had never seen anything like this.  He then sent me to a dentist, who was also his personal friend.  This man jammed his thumbs into my mouth and applied pressure (practically putting his entire body weight into it).  I remember hearing a few popping sounds and my jaw opened just a smidge better, but it was nowhere near normal.  My mom and I left and went directly to my dentist, who put me on muscle relaxers, steroids, and a soft food diet.  It took about a month, but I finally could open my mouth!

Even though there is no way to know for sure, this could be the start of my TMJ/TMDD.

Hopefully, through reading my journey and learning more about this jaw disorder, others will find some relief.  There are other people out there who are facing the same obstacles you are, so you aren't alone.  I will be updating this weekly, and hopefully (as time goes on) I'll learn to add pictures and make this a bit fancy, but for now...this is a start!




No comments:

Post a Comment

TMD and The Workplace (Surgery, time off, Covid-19)

 TMD and the workplace   Many people ask how TMD affects people at work, especially post operation.  The truth is it really depends on the...