Saturday, July 11, 2015

I’ve decided, what’s next?


What happens after one decides to have bilateral Total Joint Replacement?

Well I felt instant relief, with a mixture of terror.  I know it is a huge step, and it has the potential to positively alter my life.  On the other hand, I have read the horror stories and do not want to do anything to make my jaw worse. 

I anxiously waited for my paperwork to arrive via mail.  I wasn’t quite expecting anything like the packet I received but this is a major surgery and so the office is very thorough. 

                                         Tons & Tons of paperwork to read through!!!!!

The paperwork gave a detailed outline of what steps needed to be done and what order.  First, I needed to set up a CT scan and visit an allergist to get tested for metal allergies.  I set up both appointments as quickly as possible.


The step-by-step process that leads to surgery 


My insurance company denied my CT scan until a peer review was done.  A peer review is when the surgeon must schedule an appointment with the insurance company.  Interviews are scheduled between 9am-6pm.  This might seem like there is ample time to get these done, but there isn’t.  Doctors are busy with surgeries and patients, and must carve out at least twenty minutes per peer review.  This is a hassle for them, and nerve-wracking for the patient.  I re-scheduled my CT scan six times by the time my doctor was able to call and get it approved.  I might have waited awhile, but thankfully it was approved.  Within a week, I went in and had my scan!

After my CT, the nurse brought me in the back and showed me all of the images on my disc.  It was pretty cool and I took a picture of one of the images.


I also went and had my allergy test.  The allergist was extremely nice, and he only patch tested me for metals.  Normally he would test me for everything, but didn’t want me to pay my high deductible.  Two days after getting my patch, I went back in and he checked and I have no allergies.  I could have chosen to pay for a much more thorough blood test; however, I was pretty sure I wasn’t allergic to any type of metal.
This is what a patch test looks like-this stays on for 2-3 days.  You can't get it wet or allow your body to sweat.

My next doctors appointment isn’t until September 3rd.  That is when I will deliver my CT disc, sign oodles of paperwork, and pick a surgery date. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

TMD and The Workplace (Surgery, time off, Covid-19)

 TMD and the workplace   Many people ask how TMD affects people at work, especially post operation.  The truth is it really depends on the...