Sunday, July 5, 2015

Should I have TJR or not??????

Before I made my next appointment, I decided to do research and discuss my options with family and friends.  At this point I had only read negative reviews about Total Joint Replacement (TJR).  I wasn’t very optimistic about the future of my jaw, and didn’t know how it would affect my teaching career. 

Luckily for me, that’s when things began to change.  I found an online youtube video diary.  This diary starts when Shae is 17 years old, and follows her through her TJR surgery.  She updates the diary at least once a year.  This was the first optimist piece of information I have heard about this surgery.  This is her very first video , but this will not only explain the surgery, but also show you what the recovery will be like.

I then found the Facebook support group, TMJ Hope.  This support group gives a lot of information about TMJ.  It explains the good, the bad, and the ugly of this disorder.

After I found those resources, I was more open to the idea of TJR surgery, but wanted to know what my friends & family thought.


                                             Karen and I at her daughter's bday party!

My friend Karen had some very funny, yet off the wall questions that she felt were valid and needed answered:
1)   Will you ever be able to eat a hard shell taco?
2)   Will you be able to go on roller coasters?
3)   Will you be able to go on jet skis?
4)   Will you be able to snorkel?

My other friends/family just wanted to know if this surgery would increase the quality of my life?  If the answer is yes, they thought I should go for it.

Armed with many questions, I drove to Miami to get the results of my bite impressions. 

My model looked very similar to this :)


They brought out the model, and gave me the good news.  I would not need braces for the 
third time in my life as long as I continued to wear my retainers.  That was the best news I had received about my jaw in awhile!

I have condylar resorption, which is when one or both mandibular condyles break down the bone resorption process.  This is nine times more likely to be present in females, and usually occurs during the teenage years.  What does this big, and rather strange sounding word mean to me?  My jaw is messed up and causing a great deal of pain.

I told my doctor that I had read that this surgery doesn’t always help with pain, and he believes that in my case it will.  I am the perfect candidate for this surgery because my only problem is the actual joints.  He also believes that I will only miss 2-3 weeks of work. 


At the end of the consultation, I decided to begin the TJR process.  I said yes to the surgery, and really I said yes to hope for a brighter and less painful future.  I have heard the recovery for this surgery is horrendous, but as much as I hate clichés, ‘no pain no gain.’  

No comments:

Post a Comment

TMD and The Workplace (Surgery, time off, Covid-19)

 TMD and the workplace   Many people ask how TMD affects people at work, especially post operation.  The truth is it really depends on the...