Sunday, August 16, 2015

15 Questions to ask before having surgery

15 Questions to Ask Before Having Surgery
1.     Why do I need this operation?  What will happen if I don't have it?  Is it necessary?
2.     How will the operation be performed?  Will it be outpatient?  Will I stay over night?
3.     Are there other treatment options, and is this operation the best option for me?
4.     What are the risks, benefits, and possible complications for this operation? Will my health history and the medications I am currently taking mean the risks, possible complications, and benefits will be different for me?
5.     What are my anesthesia options?
a.     What kind of anesthesia is best for me considering my health history, the prescription medications, and vitamins/herbs I take?
b.     How will I be monitored during the operation?
6.     What can I expect before the operation?
 .       Will I need any special preparation – tests, or change in my routine medications?
a.     Will I need any special diet?
b.     When do I have to stop eating and drinking?
c.      Should I take my home medication on the day of my operation?
7.     What can I expect for my recovery in terms of treatment, medication, diet, and home care?
 .       What type of care will I have to provide for myself at home?
a.     When will I be able to return to my regular activities (work, lifting, driving, and exercise)?
b.     Will I need any medication—antibiotics, pain medication?  Can you prescribe the before the surgery?
c.      What can I do to help with my recovery?
8.     Could you tell me about your experience with this operation?
 .       Do you perform this operation regularly?  How many do you perform a year?
a.    how often do your patients experience any problems?  
b.     How can I contact you if I have more questions?
9.     Is the surgical facility accredited and properly staffed?
10. How much will the operation cost me, and what type of insurance do you take?
11.Will my jaw be wired shut?
12.What will my diet be like after surgery?
13.What is the success rate of this surgery?  What do you consider a success?  What if this surgery doesn't work-what's next?
14.Will I have stitches?
15.How will my pain be managed post op?  


If you are considering surgery, please make sure to make a list of questions and ask your surgeon.  Before deciding to have TJR, I sat down and created a list of 30 questions.  Some of the questions were general questions, just like the ones listed above) and some were specific to my surgery and my jaw problems.  If you can think of any other general questions to ask, please feel free to add to my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

TMD and The Workplace (Surgery, time off, Covid-19)

 TMD and the workplace   Many people ask how TMD affects people at work, especially post operation.  The truth is it really depends on the...