Sunday, August 23, 2015

2015/2016 School Year



I planned, and wrote, a blog post all about soft foods that are easy to eat when one has jaw issues but decided to journal about my career instead.

Two weeks ago, I returned to school for the umpteenth teacher work week.  Honestly,  last year was rough.  I moved back to this country, moved back into my old home, found a job (though I went from middle school to high school), and received bad news about the state of my jaw all in about a month’s time.  I was stressed, had anxiety, wasn’t sleeping, and was depressed. 

This year I apprehensively returned to work.  The anxiety that had melted away during the summer months returned with vengeance.  Even though I was uncomfortable returning, my gut instinct was telling me that this year is going to be an excellent year. 

Because I teach, I must talk a lot.  I am constantly reading, explaining, and describing the lessons I created.  There is no getting around that.  I definitely worry about how my jaw will hold up throughout the day.  I understand whether it’s a good day or bad day (pain wise), the show must go on and I must suck it up and deal with it.

Though I have only had one week with my students, all is going well.  I am managing my pain with over-the-counter pain medicine and muscle relaxers (as needed) at night.  I often wonder if there will be a time when I am unable to teach because of my jaw, but try not to dwell about it.  I will cross that bridge when I get to it…and hopefully, I will NEVER have to deal with that.

Career wise, I am also debating on whether or not to renew my National Board Certification (NBPTS).  For teachers, this accomplishment is a huge deal.  To renew my certificate, I would have to pay approximately $1,300, video one whole group activity, and prove that I have grown professionally.  I also have to write about each of these activities.  I am unsure of whether or not to renew.  If I have surgery I won't have the time to do this, and I'm pretty sure the NBPTS won't give me an extension.  This is a tough call.  Normally I am not indecisive, but in this case I just can't make up my mind.  


I go to the surgeon on September 3rd.  After reviewing my CT scan, we will set a date for my TJR surgery.  Though I am nervous about the surgery, I know this could potentially alter my life for the better.  I am hoping to have the surgery sooner rather than later.

1 comment:

  1. Praying all goes well for you...with your decisions & surgery!! 🙏 😊

    ReplyDelete

TMD and The Workplace (Surgery, time off, Covid-19)

 TMD and the workplace   Many people ask how TMD affects people at work, especially post operation.  The truth is it really depends on the...