Sunday, September 13, 2015

The Sad Truth About Chronic Pain


As I surf the Internet researching TMJ, and talk to others who suffer with TMJ, I recognized that many of us have suffered bouts of depression and/or anxiety.


Last year, I taught the novel One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest to my 11th graders.  The narrator, Chief Bromden, suffers from schizophrenia. The other patients at the mental hospital suffer from a plethora of mental illnesses.  Because of this, I began researching different Youtube clips that explained not only schizophrenia, but also OCD, bipolar disorder, and depression.

What I learned that stuck with me the most is that people often use the words depressed and sad interchangeably.  In reality, there is a huge difference.  Sadness is a temporary feeling.  One might be sad if they get into a fight with their best friend or if they fail a test.  Depression often lasts for weeks, if not months at a time. 

What I didn’t understand, until I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety, is that it is all encompassing.  For example, at the height of this dark period in my life I felt as though nothing was going right.  I no longer enjoyed going out with my friends.  I felt like a complete failure at work.  I was only sleeping 3 hours a night because I would wake up in a cold sweat and couldn’t fall back to sleep.  I wasn’t hungry, which was fine with me because it hurts me to chew anyways.

I would read self-help articles that made such suggestions as exercise, meditate, try to think positive, do things that make you happy.  I was attempting to do those things daily.  I just couldn’t get out of the funk.  I probably would have cried, except it literally hurts my face (a lot) to do so.  

Finally, I gave up and got help.  I went to a psychiatrist and listed all my symptoms.  She spoke to me about why I could be experiencing depression/anxiety.  I knew exactly why: I had just moved back into the country, my AC had broken, my new job was challenging, and I had gotten bad news about my jaw.  In fact, that is what put my over the edge.  We all agreed that my anxiety/depression is pain related.

She prescribed a depression/anxiety medication that would increase my appetite and help me gain weight, since I am typically underweight.  This medicine would also help me sleep, which would make me more productive, alert, and (hopefully) happy.  Because I had a decrease in stress/anxiety, she also hoped that it would help me control the tension in my face and; therefor, feel a bit better.  I began taking the medication last December and I quit taking it in June.  The medication was a blessing, and it is the reason I was able to get better.

Though I have several months worth of the medication in my medicine cabinet, I am not going to take it unless I need it.  As my surgery approaches, I will monitor my emotions and decided whether or not it is best for me to begin taking the medicine again.

I know most people do not want to discuss how the pain can mentally affect them.  Some people feel ashamed, and don’t want to discuss depression.  I have spoken to several woman who suffer from severe jaw problems and have admitted struggling with depression/anxiety.  They have also taken prescription medication to help.  It takes a strong person to admit they need help. 

I am writing this to make people who suffer with jaw problems aware that they are not alone.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with seeking professional help if you need it.


I have recently read comments from a person (on another website) who believe that pain is “psychological and all in one’s head.”  That is absolutely, positively not true.  I cannot just ignore it and it will go away.  It is with me all day, every day.  Some days are better than others, but no day is pain free.  I have MRI’s and CT scans that show major trauma to my jaw, which clearly explains the pain in my face/head. Comments such as this are highly insensitive.  Some people need to learn a little bit of empathy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

TMD and The Workplace (Surgery, time off, Covid-19)

 TMD and the workplace   Many people ask how TMD affects people at work, especially post operation.  The truth is it really depends on the...