Saturday, September 5, 2015

Surgery Update





Yesterday, after work, I drove to Miami for my appointment with the oral maxillofacial surgeon (OMS).  We are attempting to set up my total joint replacement (TJR) / orthognathic surgery for December 1st!   It will take 8-12 weeks to build my custom joints, and I have a lot do, so I am hoping and praying all goes smoothly.





Before surgery, I have a ton of stuff to do:

     1)  I have to have blood work to test for metals allergies.  Yes, I had the patch testing, but the OMS wants to make 100% sure I am not allergic to the metal that will become my new and improved jaw joints.  Insurance does not cover it, so I will be paying over $500 out of pocket. 
     2)    I have to get to CTAs.  This is a CT scan with iodine.  One scan will be of my brain and the other will be of my face/neck.  Now, I made the appointment today and they can both be done in one day but several hours apart-I’m not sure why.
    3)  I must set up a consultation with the interventional nueroradiologist.  This doctor will look at my CTA scans because he/she will have to go through my groin area (on the left and right side) and snake a coil like device through my body and into my jaw to cut off the blood supply to the major arteries on both sides of my face.  Interestingly enough, the coil device just stays in my face and is never removed.  I guess I just don’t need blood flow in those arteries.
This is what this process will look like.

    4)  Medical clearance via my doctor. 
    5)  Pre operative appointment with my OMS.  Hopefully I’ll get to see the replica of my skull with the implants attached to it.
This is exactly what the replica of my jaw my look like once the costume joints are added.  The doctor has promised me many pics, so I can share them with everyone :)  It's kinda cool and scary at the same time.

     6)  I am not sure if I have an appointment that will deal with the embolization of my teeth.  This is a metal device that covers my upper and lower teeth, so that I do not over do it after surgery.  It’s a guide.  Though my jaw will not be completely wired shut, it will be swollen shut and I will have to do physical therapy exercises to get it open.  With these guides, I will not be able to open too much.  They will be removed approximately 2 weeks later.
                   
    7)  I know there are a few other appointments that I will need to make, but those are the most important!

It may not appear to be a lot, but I am working full time at a local high school.    I know many people wonder why I didn’t have the surgery over summer, and the reason is because insurance approval took forever.  In fact, I am paying that it goes smoother this time. 


I am going to attempt not to get too stressed about the surgery, or anything else.  This could potentially change the quality of my life for the better and I am very optimistic about the outcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

TMD and The Workplace (Surgery, time off, Covid-19)

 TMD and the workplace   Many people ask how TMD affects people at work, especially post operation.  The truth is it really depends on the...