Sunday, April 16, 2017

April Showers Bring May flowers

My intention was to take a week off, but after another sleepless night I thought of adding a blog page about hope (because really, there is always hope).  Even though this might be repetitive, it is imperative to ALWAYS be grateful for the love and prayers from family and friends.  

April 6th I celebrated by birthday at work.  Kristy, a work friend, has taken on the task of birthday celebrations.  Everyone was to email her what they like and/or what their hobbies were.  Mine included the color pink, animals, and chocolate.  The basket she created for me was so thoughtful, extremely fabulous, and I couldn't believe the amount of time and care she put into everything in it.  It included chocolate, a pink money belt (I use this for my volunteer work at the rescue), candles, a book, and, of course, the prized possession...the pink dry erase board for after surgery.  I was going to purchase one, but hadn't got around to it.  I was touched and very thankful for her gift basket!


Last year I started taking mixed media art lessons, but because of location and scheduling conflicts I haven't been able to attend recent classes.  Yesterday was my first time back in over a year and it was extremely relaxing.  I enjoy creating pieces and knowing that every mistake can be covered and turned in something beautiful :)  Now doesn't that sound like a life lesson? lol

Afterwards I met my travel companion, Vanessa, for drinks and dinner.  Much to my surprise, she made me an after surgery kit!  It includes books she thinks I will like, lavender lotion, a lavender candle, sleep eye covers, chocolate, and tissues.  I was extremely shocked and probably did not express my gratitude enough, as this was truly an amazing, thoughtful, and kind gift.  In fact, I'm actually dropping it off at my parents today, so it's there when I am discharged from the hospital.
                                                                                   Vanessa's gift basket!!!!

                                                                          Gifts for after surgery :)

My church family is inspiring.  They kept praying for me even when I had given up.  I was told it would be at least 5 years before the FDA would approve me for the titanium implants I needed.  I decided that this was God's will and maybe it was for the best that I didn't have the surgery.  Of course, everything changed about 6 months later.  There is no other explanation than divine intervention.  Even as I was sitting through the Easter service today, Pastor Bob spoke about worrying (something that I am struggling with now). He explained that if we pray and give our worry to God, we don't need to worry.  Of course, this is easier said than done, but then he read my favorite passage: "I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength" (Philippians 4:13).  After the service I was touched even further when speaking with several people and they let me know that if I need anything at all after my surgery to please let them know, and they meant it.  

My rescue family-100+ Abandoned Dogs of The Everglades-they have welcomed both my mom and I into this organization with open arms.  We enjoy our time with not only the people in this group, but also our furry friends!



My work family is also amazing.  Administration and the English department have been very understanding about my upcoming absence.  I enjoy teaching, and am grateful to get what I love to do every day.  I will be telling my students about my absence shortly.


My parents have been the best.  Today we are celebrating Easter by eating a dinner of steak, potato salad, and deviled eggs.  I am cheating on my soft food diet!  It may hurt, but it is worth it.  Three weeks until my new jaw!




                                                                        Gato's 13th birthday celebration


April has been stressful and I'm at the point in this journey that is filled with doctor's appointments.  I just gotta keep remembering to stay strong, that I have a wonderful support system, and hopefully May will bring be better.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

TMD and The Workplace (Surgery, time off, Covid-19)

 TMD and the workplace   Many people ask how TMD affects people at work, especially post operation.  The truth is it really depends on the...