Saturday, June 13, 2015

TMJ Arthroplasty/open joint surgery

TMJ arthroplasty, or open joint surgery, was the next step in my journey.  My discs where bilaterally dislocated, and it was causing nerve damage on the left side of my face.  In my case, a discectomy (the disc was removed) was necessary.

Open joint surgery is when an incision is made along the outside of your ears, much like a facelift.  The joint is then exposed so the surgeon can easily see what he/she is doing.


After the disc is removed, the surgeon will replace it.  There are several options.  Some doctors prefer to use muscle grafts, but mine used a temporary silicone implant.  This implant was held in place using internal stitches.  It was explained to me that my body will create some sort of tissue on top of the implant, and once the implant is removed the tissue will suffice as a cushion so there is no bone-to-bone rubbing.

I left the hospital 24 hours later.  I began doing physical therapy exercises.  I was given pain medication and a topical ointment for my stitches.  I iced my face to reduce swelling.  I was also on a liquid diet for approximately 4/5 weeks, and then a very soft diet.  In addition, I slept sitting up.

I was on pain medication for 24 hours before it made me violently ill.  After that, I sucked it up and went without anything.  I am relatively active and began taking walks two days later.  Those walks got longer and longer as time went on!

A week later I went and had my external stitches removed.  My healing was going really well.  Once my stitches were out, I even went clubbing with my friends!  I, of course, was very careful with my face.  I didn't allow people to hug me, or touch my face at all.
  My friend's bachelorette party two weeks after surgery

Nearly six weeks later, I went to the surgeon’s office and had my implants removed.  This is not done while a person is asleep.  The doctor numbed one side of my face (ouch!) and made an incision, pulled the implant out, and stitched me back together.  He repeated that on the other side!  It was very cool and I even got to hold my implant!  I wish I had taken pictures of it for this blog :/

The next day I went to my friend’s bridal shower, and unless you were standing on either side of me, you would not even know I had stitches.  My doctor is that good!

My other friend's bridal shower-I have stitched on both sides of my face from having the implants removed the day before.


I left and went back to japan.  I recognized that my teeth where not lining up correctly, and I began to be in pain.  I was in denial that something was wrong, until one night I went to eat ramen with my good friend Andrew.  Eating the soup was difficult, and I was in pain for days.  I knew something was very wrong; however, I didn’t know what. 

Ramen-tantanmen, or spicy ramen, is my absolute favorite type!!!!!  I miss ramen!


I have read that this type of surgery is successful for many people, and I am jealous!  I wish it had been successful for me. As of now, I am still optimistic that there will be a cure for my constant pain.  

1 comment:

  1. Your story is more common than we like to think. I, too, have experienced pain from TMJ and it is very painful. Living with constant pain is no cake walk. People often dismiss pain associated with TMJ as not true pain. This is the farthest from the truth. I hope you find a solution that helps you heal. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

TMD and The Workplace (Surgery, time off, Covid-19)

 TMD and the workplace   Many people ask how TMD affects people at work, especially post operation.  The truth is it really depends on the...