Sunday, June 11, 2017

3 weeks post op


At my two-week checkup the surgeon gave me permission to go back to work.  Many people were surprised about that, but I felt ecstatic.  Knowing I still have a long road to be fully recovered, I decided to go discuss this option with my boss. 

I must preface this, as I would not have entertained the idea of going back if it were a regular work week.  Since I teach high school, and it was the last week, there was a modified exam schedule.  Here was what my days actually looked like:

Monday 5/29
Memorial Day-No school
Tuesday 5/30
Regular Schedule
1-No class (seniors)
2-No class (seniors)
3-Planning
4-Class
5-Class
6th Exam-Planning
Wednesday 5/31
Period 1 exam-no class
Period 2 exam-no class

End of Year Party
Thursday 6/1
Period 3 exam-planning
Period 4 exam
Friday 6/2
Period 5 exam
Period 7 exam

Because of my physical therapy schedule, I packed the OraStrech and ice packs.  None of my students knew that I was returning, and they were thrilled that I was back. 
There were many hugs, letters of appreciation, notes, and even a necklace and rock.  

                                                       A healing necklace and a "survivor" rock

It's hard to see, but it says: Ms.Phinney, Your genuine kindness and guidance has inspired me to be consistent in my efforts to better not only my work, but my willpower.






They had many questions about my “new” face and wanted to inspect it.  Many were shocked that I don’t have a scar and my face is only slightly swollen.  Since I don’t have any facial expressions, I warned them that if I am staring at you, it means you are doing something obnoxious. 



My colleagues were also stunned at my return.  Even teachers I barely know were happy to see me and spoke to me.  Once again, I can’t express how magnificent it is to feel loved. 

Returning to work was good for the soul. It reminded me of how grateful I am to have such fabulous colleagues and students.  I truly enjoy working with teenagers and getting to know them, their interest, and their quirks.  It’s not always easy or fun, but it is rewarding.

 Even with the modified exam schedule, it was tough.  My first day back I ached and was nauseous before I even saw my first class.   Most afternoons I ended up in bed because of the pain, but never regretted returning. Luckily, I have Gato to cuddle with and make sure I'm okay.


These three pics were taken when I wasn't feeling so well, and he had to be on me or by my side.

In addition, I went to the physical therapist.  I thought it was going to be terrible, but it wasn't bad at all.  Was it uncomfortable?  Yes.  Did it hurt?  Yes, but in the long run it will be worth it.  When he first measured my bite, I could open to a 22 on my own.  With his help, I opened to a 32.  

He gave me additional exercises to do five times a day at home.  I now have a standing appointment every week.

He noticed my right eye as soon as I met him.  Even though he wasn't pleased with that, he was surprised to see how well my teeth meet now.  

                                           They are not perfect, but I no longer have an open bite

I got to visit 100+ Abandoned Dogs of the Everglades to spend time with the dogs while my parents officially adopted their Yorkie, Tiffany.  I was extremely careful not to let the dogs jump on me or lick anywhere near my incisions sites.


                                                          The official adoption picture 


I miss walking and spending time with the dogs


I recognize that I still have a long way to go, but am optimistic and pleased with how well my body is healing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

TMD and The Workplace (Surgery, time off, Covid-19)

 TMD and the workplace   Many people ask how TMD affects people at work, especially post operation.  The truth is it really depends on the...