Friday, June 23, 2017

One-Month Post Op




It feels like just yesterday I was fretting over the surgery and its implications on my life.  Was this the correct decision or not?  I just didn’t know.

That anxiety subsided as soon as I awoke from surgery.  It was done.  Now I must heal.

All of the cards and gifts are a constant reminder that I will get through this :)


In the month since the TJR, there are minimal changes to my face.

My face is still frozen except for a slight grin.  I sometimes show teeth when I smile naturally, but if I attempt to smile on purpose, well, it looks like a snarl.  On the positive side, people pay good money to have a forehead such as mine.  It looks as though I spent quite a bit on Botox, so I can’t complain about that!  



My right eye still doesn’t close the same as the left.  It does close, just not as tight and bothers me when I am trying to focus. Driving at night or in the rain is a challenge.  I’m sure it looks a bit goofy, but I don’t care.  I still go about my normal day-to-day routine. 

I'm practicing my smile with the rescue dogs:




 I do still have some numbness on my cheeks.  At times I get random pains on different parts of my face as nerves are regenerating. 

In addition, my chin looks better because my teeth are aligned.

At the moment, my pain level is wonderful.  I haven’t taken a pain pill in three weeks and I have not taken Excedrin.  I've noticed that the weather causes headaches.

I do have random aches and pains on occasion.  When I am out with friends or family, I tend to get achy.  I also have first bite syndrome when I drink/eat something either cold or hot.  It’s annoying, but not the end of the world.

I go to physical therapy once a week.  The physical therapist is trained in jaw issues.  He spends quite a bit of time with his hands in my mouth.  I’m not sure what he’s doing, but it excruciatingly painful.  If it gets to be too much, I’m supposed to raise my hand.  I don’t.  I want to heal as quickly as possible.

This week I could open to a 30 on my own.  When I left, I opened to a 36! 


I have to do my main PT exercises 4X a day and my other PT exercises 7X a day.  It’s a lot, but my goal is to open to a 33 on my own by next week.

He is pleased with my opening and says that I am progressing faster than most people who had my surgery.  He is not as happy with my face, so I need to continue to work on that. I am still on a soft/mushy food diet.


At this point in the healing process, I do not regret my decision.  I recognize that I have a long road ahead of me, but am optimistic of the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

TMD and The Workplace (Surgery, time off, Covid-19)

 TMD and the workplace   Many people ask how TMD affects people at work, especially post operation.  The truth is it really depends on the...